Navigation Menu+

Choose your kitchen countertop

The countertop is often the centerpiece of a newly renovated kitchen. However, some may feel a bit overwhelmed when it comes to choosing the right materials among the numerous choices proposed. The main factors one has to consider are the countertop‘s durability and its ease of maintenance. Keep in mind that your kitchen countertop is one of the busiest parts of your home. It must retain its beauty despite the repeated assaults of water, stains, heat and shock.
Kitchen countertops

Countertop materials

Laminate countertops are very popular because they combines durability and a reasonable cost. Easy to clean and comes in a variety of colors , textures and patterns. However, they have a tendency to show scratches and to scorch if you are not careful with hot pots and pans.

Solid surface countertops are more expensive than laminate, but stronger. Marks can be removed by sanding. The molding can combine the sink and countertop so joints are almost invisible. Some calls their appearance ” artificial “, but it is a matter of taste.

Wood & “butcher block” style countertops are protected by varnish or an oil treatment. Excellent surface for cutting and easy to clean. However, this natural and warm material is more sensitive to moisture, rust and scratches.

Granite, marble and slate countertops share many characteristics. All three are resistant to wear and low maintenance. They dull knife blades if the food is cut directly on the surface. The differences between the three are mainly appearance and price. Slate is affordable, while granite and marble are synonymous with luxury.

Tile and mosaic countertops do not burn. They are stain resistant and their colors will not fade. However, you must be careful when you put glassware or porcelain on them. They are resistant to water and scratches.

Stainless steel countertops are very hygienic. Waterproof and heat resistant. However, they are noisy and sensitive to scratches, and its manufacture is expensive .

Quartz countertops are also known as manufactured stone. The countertop contains 93 % natural quartz and the other 7 % is made of resinous pigment and binder. Very strong, resistant to just about everything, and very hygienic, it is offered in a variety of colors and textures. Like all heavy materials, reinforcement of the cabinets base may be necessary to support its weight.

Do not hesitate to contact Ébénisterie St-Denis‘s kitchen countertop experts!

L'Ébénisterie St-Denis - specializing in kitchen and bathroom remodeling, as well as furniture manufacturing.
102b, 5e Boulevard
Terrasse-Vaudreuil, QC
J7V 5L9
Telephone: (514) 453-2017
Fax: (514) 453-6649